Thursday, May 11, 2006

My First Blog - Federal Government Interference

Please excuse misspelling, grammar, punctuation errors and any other improper writing methods I may use. What can I say, I'm more of a computer geek than an English major. On to my first post...

Recently the media, and as a result politicians, have been focusing on websites like MySpace.com as a breeding ground for child molesters. In what is probably a good faith effort to protect children, some of those politicians are trying to introduce legislation to make it mandatory for schools and libraries to block certain "social networking" sites. I am not arguing whether this should be done or not, but whether the federal government needs to be involved. I realize that politicians face their constituents' questions of "what are you going to do to protect my child?" But is this the best way?

First, I feel this is more of a show piece than something that would be effective. Are there any studies or evidence that children are having contact with predators while at school or libraries? Pure conjecture on my part, but I feel most of these encounters probably happen when the children are at home on the computer. (But, like the school and library issue, that is my opinion without any facts.)

Second, and most importantly, this is something that should be handled on the local level. Communities should be allowed to govern the rules that their people live by, as long as it does not violate liberty or other laws. Schools should be responsible for their computer networks and what is allowed and not. We, the public and citizens, could spend the rest of our lives trying to come up with federal legislation to prevent crime, but if we do not address it locally on our own, then we are being irresponsible and welcoming legislation like this to take away our freedom.

So, while I feel the intent is good, this is a situation where the reaction of politicians is causing them to overstep their bounds.

I hope I wrote this post clearly enough to convey my view point. Let me know what you think, and especially if you think I'm wrong. I don't take offense easily. Just try to make a logical explanation on what you think and why. Thanks for reading my first post, and hopefully there will be more.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger redwulf said...

I think you hit the nail on the head for every such legislation: keep the rules at the local level and get the federal and even state government out of it. I raise my children, not the gov't. The schools decide what is/is not appropriate for students (with parents involved), not the gov't. The gov't passes laws based on constitutionality; communities make rules based on morality. Not the other way around.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home