Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blogs - Real News?

ephemeral
e·phem·er·al
adj.
  1. Lasting for a markedly brief time: “There remain some truths too ephemeral to be captured in the cold pages of a court transcript” (Irving R. Kaufman).
  2. Living or lasting only for a day, as certain plants or insects do
hebdomadal
heb·dom·a·dal

adj.

Weekly.

Sorry, I had to look those up when reading an article. There is always something new to learn. Why use hebdomadal though? I have never understood the purpose of using words that someone has to look up when another would convey the same connotation. I think it is an ego thing, but maybe I'm just cynical.

If you can't tell, I read the news often throughout the day. (Don't tell my boss.) When I come across an article that peaks my interest or something I have a comment on, I just email it to my personal account so I can remember later. That is why most of my posts will be in reference to some sort of news article. On with the post...

The author of All The News That Fits Your Views seems to think that blogs aren't and will not be a legitimate news source. I agree, mostly. My general view is that a blog is a way for someone to strike up a conversation, not try to change the world. I started this one so that I could speak to people outside of just my area. I have traveled enough in my life to appreciate and learn from different views and cultures. Blogs allow people who would normally never speak to each other to have a voice. Also, there is always the hope of having our 5 minutes of notability. (Didn't want to use fame, just want to be heard.)

As far as being a journalist...
Bloggers are people. Men, women, educated, kids, etc... Having a blog allows a person to speak and express their opinions and views. On politics, some could be considered more legitimate than others. In my opinion, some could be better journalists than a few of the talking heads I see on television.

My opinion on the piece, I think Matt Harrison is incorrect. Bloggers have the ability to be journalists. Although, there is quite a bit of crap out there, hopefully this isn't an example. We will probably never become sources of original news, but we can at least match some of the opinions expressed by the "true" journalists on CNN, FoxNews, etc...

(This was more a flow of thought post than something thought out. I tried to keep it somewhat structured.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home